When I first started setting up the Ant Farm project, I built the grid in a portrait orientation because… well… I don’t really know why I did that. It’s simply the way I started arranging the pieces and that’s how it got locked into my brain.
To provide myself with a large, almost-real-time representation of how the project is developing, I print out a low-res shot of each model and tape it to a large piece of foam core. This also gives me something to show to models when they first arrive so they can get a feel for what other people have done and how the project will ultimately look. Last night, however, something rather dramatic happened when I picked up the foam core to move it.
I accidentally rotated it 90 degrees.
In an instant I realized that the portrait orientation was completely wrong and that it needed to be landscape. This is one of those things that was so bloody obvious once I saw it, but it had not even crossed my mind until that moment. Yes, this meant that I instantly created about four hours of Photoshop work for myself to rearrange all the elements, but it was time well spent. Once I finished that the project simply looked better. It’s hard to explain why, but it just did.
I guess the point of this is to remind myself to occasionally step back and question why I’m doing things the way I am. Chances are there are decisions I made purely out of habit that should now be re-evaluated. Assume nothing; experiment often. And above all, don’t forget the valuable lesson the Brady kids taught us: