Self-Censored Portraits, Take Two
In 2010, I did my first large-scale art project. Self-Censored Portraits asked 100 volunteers to pose nude, covering themselves however they wanted with some handheld black censor bars. Because I think this will make for a very interesting photo booth installation at the Seattle Erotic Arts Festival, I am reviving the project for 2018!
And you know what that means, don’t you? It means that I need some volunteers to help me create a selection of sample photos! Between now and early 2018 I will be shooting Self-Censored Photos in my luxurious basement studio. I do not have a set number that I need to do… my plan is just to gather as many as I can comfortably do during that time period.
By now you should have a pretty good idea of what this is all about. There are, however, several things I want you to read through and be OK with before you do something as silly as go to a stranger’s basement and let him take a naked picture of you.
- Who can participate? Absolutely everyone, as long as they are at least 18 years old. Beyond that, there are no requirements and no exclusions. I like variety!
- Typically, shooting happens at my house, which is on the north end of Green Lake. Bus routes 62, 26, and 45 all have stops nearby. I’ll provide the exact address once we book a session.
- You will be fully nude in your pose. We’re not using any props, hats, awesome socks, etc. in this project.
- My wife frequently helps me with photo styling when she’s available, so she might be present for the shoot as well. That said, she’s also insanely busy with work these days, so maybe not.
- You will need to sign a standard model release allowing me to use your image for this project.
- At this time I do not have plans to do anything with these images beyond the project as it was described above.
- You must be able to coordinate your photo session with me via email. At any given time I’m typically in conversations with up to a dozen participants and I need to keep everything centralized or all hell will break loose. Well, 90% of hell.
Your Next Steps
At this point you are likely trembling with excitement over your opportunity to censor yourself! Here’s what you need to do now:
- Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know you’re interested. To minimize the amount of back-and-forth emails, it would help if you told me when you are available to make the trip to my house (I work from home so I’m quite flexible). You will probably be here for less than 30 minutes.